At Cambridge Healthcare Research our vision is to be the trusted partner for decision makers in life sciences and healthcare, and we make it our mission to empower our clients and re-define excellence in those relationships. With our employees at the heart of everything that we have achieved, we work to create a thriving environment for them to excel and make an impact beyond their everyday role. We are not only passionate about healthcare and its innovation, but also our people and their journey to success.
The Sustainability Lead will support and advance CHR’s commitment to social responsibility, focusing on ethical, sustainable, and environmental policies, and will collaborate closely with various teams to achieve strategic CSR objectives and foster a culture of sustainability.
Strategy and Policy Development:
- Support the development of policies relating to CHR’s ESG responsibilities.
- Write and action CHR’s social responsibility strategy in collaboration with the Senior Executive Team [SET] and align with strategic objectives.
- Responsible for managing and reporting CHR’s ESG strategic objectives and OKRs for 2024 – 2026.
- Undertake detailed project planning, including financial management and forecasting, writing business cases, and establishing robust governance and control processes.
Leadership and Collaboration:
- Collaborate with the Senior Executive Team [SET], CEO Office, Quality team, and Sustainability taskforce to implement processes and policies.
- Develop and manage policies with the Commercial teams to ensure alignment with sustainable vendor commitments.
- Work with all CHR employees to establish reporting and build a sense of shared commitment to CSR/ESG plans and targets.
- Lead and project manage the internal Sustainability and CHR for Society taskforces; provide guidance and EDI support for the EMPOWER staff network.
- Encourage links between the company and educational or charitable groups.
- Represent CHR as the ESG/CSR subject matter expert at relevant internal and external meetings.
Communication and Development:
- Develop and lead external awareness campaigns in partnership with the Marketing and Communications [MarComs] team to publicise CHR’s social responsibility commitments.
- Client relationship management, working with key internal and external stakeholders on CSR and ESG matters.
- Lead on the education and engagement plans for CHR employees, working with the CEO office and MarComs team to drive internal communications that create ESG champions and ways of working and behaviours for all staff.
- Develop and run internal briefings and trainings to equip staff with the knowledge to contribute to our shared climate agenda.
- Design and implement a CSR educational program for all levels of staff to enhance understanding and skills related to CSR and sustainability.
- Partner with HR to integrate CSR competencies and objectives into professional development programs.
Reporting and Accountability:
- Regular reporting to the SET and CEO Office, including forecasting on ESG OKRs, business targets, and strategic goals.
- Reporting on social responsibility activity to the SET and the Board of Directors, including monthly tracking and analysis of data, project management of actions, and proposals for achieving ESG goals in partnership with the business.
- Implement and manage CSR reporting systems and analytics to track performance indicators, leveraging data for informed decision-making.
- Assess and recommend technology solutions that could enhance CSR program delivery and impact tracking.
Recognition and Benchmarking:
- Project manage annual submissions of CSR-related questionnaires for major global sustainability rankings and scorecards [e.g., Eco Vadis, Sbti, CDP, etc.].
- Scope and project manage submissions for new/further CSR-related Awards and accreditations.
- Provide information on how CSR/ESG and the journey to net zero provide opportunities for business operations.
- Develop constructive solutions to minimise commercial and social risks.
Sustainability Initiatives and Innovation:
- Lead initiatives to green CHR’s operations, including waste reduction, energy efficiency, and sustainable procurement practices.
- Foster innovation by initiating or sponsoring CSR-related projects that pilot new, sustainable ways of working or technologies.
Global CSR Trends and Alignment:
- Conduct research into best practices and monitor news to stay updated on CSR trends, policies, and legal commitments.
- Engage with CSR networks and forums to exchange best practices and represent CHR in global discussions on sustainability.
- A degree or education in environmental science or a relevant discipline is desirable.
- Previous experience in a related field [e.g., Climate Change/Sustainability] within a commercial environment.
- Strong technical and analytical experience, capable of handling complex data sets.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office [Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint].
- Experienced in change management and project management.
- Practical and comprehensive knowledge of current legislation and principles related to sustainability and carbon reduction at national and global levels.
- Experience in producing, implementing, and embedding policies and strategies linked to sustainability, carbon reduction, and commercial CSR/ESG.
Communication and Organisation:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, capable of engaging with multiple senior internal and external stakeholders consistently and effectively.
- Exceptional organisational skills with meticulous attention to detail and the ability to prioritise a demanding workload.
- A high degree of professionalism when interacting with diverse groups, including Board members, senior executives, staff, and clients.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and demonstrate integrity with sensitive information.
- Exceptional time management skills with a consistent ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work autonomously and with a commercial mindset, informed by knowledge of finance, budgeting, and general business practices.
- Aptitude to react appropriately to urgent situations, making informed decisions regarding priorities and resource allocation.
Behaviours and Attributes
- Decision-Making: Strong business sense with the ability to interpret priorities and make sound judgment calls.
- Commitment to Quality: Demonstrates a commitment to excellence, ensuring duties are performed with consistent high quality.
- Communication Skills: Excellent communication skills, with the capacity to interact confidently and professionally with individuals at all levels.
- Emotional Intelligence: Proven ability to work with sensitive information and navigate complex situations, showing high emotional intelligence.
- Collaborative Leadership: A team player who leads with a collaborative approach and fosters an environment of partnership.
- Focus on Delivery: Delivery-focused, dedicated to meeting and managing expectations by maintaining effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Responsiveness and Organisation: Responsive and capable of managing a high volume of emails and tasks, with the ability to prioritise and communicate updates in a time-appropriate manner.
Our largest office is situated in Shoreditch, London and we have a second office at the St John’s Innovation Centre in Cambridge. With an opportunity to work in the offices or in a hybrid role, we offer a flexible and supportive atmosphere as well as a competitive salary and benefits package that includes;
- Annual bonus [subject to both company and individual performance and tenure]
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays [with additional day per year of service, up to 30 days]
- Contributory pension scheme
- Mind & Body monthly allowance to support activities that proactively support your health & wellbeing [such as gym membership or wellbeing apps]
- Employee Assistance Programme scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Private health care
- Life Assurance
CHR is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.